Corbin, M., & Oxenford, H. A. (2023). Assessing growth of pelagic sargassum in the Tropical Atlantic. Aquatic Botany, 187, 103654. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquabot.2023.103654)
Dominguez Almela, V., Appeaning Addo, K., Corbett, J., Cumberbatch, J., Dash, J., Marsh, R., & Tompkins, E. (2023). Science and policy lessons learned from a decade of adaptation to the emergent risk of sargassum proliferation across the tropical Atlantic. Environmental Research Communications, 5, 061002. (https://doi.org/10.1088/2515-7620/acd493)
Marsh, R., Skliris, N., Tompkins, E. L., Dash, J., Dominguez Almela, V., Tonon, T. & Webber, M. (2023). Climate-sargassum interactions across scales in the tropical Atlantic. PLOS Climate, 2(7), e0000253. (https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pclm.0000253)
Machado, C.B, Maddix, G-M, Francis, P., Thomas, S-L., Burton, J.A., Langer, S., Larson, T.R., Marsh, R., Webber, M., and Tonon, T. (2021). Pelagic Sargassum events in Jamaica: Provenance, morphotype abundance, and influence of sample processing on biochemical composition of the biomass. Science of the Total Environment, 817, 152761.(https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.152761).
Marsh, R., Oxenford, H., Cox, S.A., Johnson, D.A., and Bellamy, J. (2022). Forecasting seasonal sargassum events across the tropical Atlantic: overview and challenges. Frontiers in Marine Science, 9, . (doi:10.3389/fmars.2022.914501).
Skliris, N., Marsh, R., Appeaning Addo, K., Oxenford, H. (2022). Physical drivers of pelagic sargassum bloom interannual variability in the Central West Atlantic over 2010–2020. Ocean Dynamics. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10236-022-01511-1
Trench, C., Thomas, S-L., Thorney, D., Maddix, G-M., Francis, P., Small, H., Machado, C.B., Webber, D., Tonon, T., and Webber, M. (2022). Application of stranded pelagic sargassum biomass as compost for seedling production in the context of mangrove restoration. Frontiers in Environmental Science, 10, 12 p., . (doi: 10.3389/fenvs.2022.932293 ).
Van Der Plank, S., Cox, S.A., Cumberbatch, J., Mahon, R., Thomas, B., Tompkins, E.L., and Corbett, J. (2022). Polycentric Governance, Coordination and Capacity: The Case of Sargassum Influxes in the Caribbean. Coastal Management, 50(4), 285-305. (https://doi.org/10.1080/08920753.2022.2078172).
Marsh, R., Appeaning Addo, K., Jayson-Quashigah, P.N., Oxenford, H.A., Maxam, A., Anderson, R., Skliris, N., Dash, J. and Tompkins, E., (2021) Seasonal predictions of holopelagic sargassum across the Tropical Atlantic accounting for uncertainty in drivers and processes: The SARTRAC ensemble forecast system. Frontiers in Marine Science, 8. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2021.722524
Davis, D., Simister, R., Campbell, S., Marston, M., Bose, S., McQueen-Mason, S. J., Gomez, L., Gallimore, W., & Tonon, T. (2021). Biomass composition of the golden tide pelagic seaweeds Sargassum fluitans and S. natans (morphotypes I and VIII) to inform valorisation pathways. Science of The Total Environment, 762, 143134.
Fidai, Y. A., Dash, J., Tompkins, E., & Tonon, T. (2020). A systematic review of floating and beach landing records of Sargassum beyond the Sargasso Sea. Environmental Research Communications, 2(12), .
SARTRAC Scientific Webinar Series
Movement of sargassum – Professor Robert Marsh
This presentation looks at the seasonal drift of sargassum after a major volcanic eruption in April 2021 in the Caribbean, explored with our new forecast system.
- Citation: Marsh, R. 2021. Introducing our forecast system and reflection on 2021 season. Presentation given at the SARTRAC Scientific Webinar Series 1: Following Sargassum, Connecting Communities, 13/12/21, Centre for Resource Management and Environmental Studies, Barbados. Online seminar.
Biology of sargassum – Professor Hazel Oxenford
This presentation looks at the gaps in ecological knowledge of pelagic sargassum that need to be filled to improve the accuracy of sargassum influx forecasts.
- Citation: Oxenford, H.A. 2021. Sargassum biology: what we do and don’t know of relevance to forecasting. Presentation given at the SARTRAC Scientific Sargassum Webinar Series 1: Following Sargassum, Connecting Communities, 13/12/2021. Centre for Resource Management and Environmental Studies, Barbados. Online seminar.
Sargassum risk management in Jamaica – Dr Kerrine Senior
This presentation explores the Sargassum Risk Management Strategy in Jamaica and the Caribbean, which calls for all affected stakeholders (fishers, farmers, government, private sectors, etc) & provides co-ordinated management options for stranded sargassum.
- Citation: Kerrine, S., et al. (2021). Risk Management Strategy for Sargassum Stranding in Jamaica and the Caribbean. Presentation given at the SARTRAC Scientific Webinar Series 2, 21/06/22. Centre for Resource Management and Environmental Studies, Barbados. Online seminar.
Monitoring sargassum and the environment – MSc Ajanni Bissick
This (video) presentation looks into environmental monitoring using open-source remote sensing software and how to apply this to the monitoring of sargassum.
- Citation: Bissick, A. 2022. Making environmental monitoring easy – open source approach. Presentation given at the SARTRAC Scientific Webinar Series 2, 21/06/2022, Centre for Resource Management and Environmental Studies, Barbados. Online seminar.
Biochemical composition of sargassum biomass – Dr Thierry Tonon
This presentation describes the composition analysis of pelagic sargassum morphotypes in Jamaica in 2019 and explores the biochemical composition of sargassum biomass and the effects of processing and storage on potential products.
- Citation: Tonon, T. 2022. Biochemical composition of pelagic sargassum biomass, and effects of processing and storage on potential products. Presentation given at the SARTRAC Scientific Webinar Series 4: Pelagic Sargassum Science and Innovation for Entrepreneurship, 18/07/2022. Centre for Resource Management and Environmental Studies, Barbados. Online seminar.